Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Football...

I have been INCREDIBLY blessed over the past decade. Seriously, I've traveled many cool places, met some of the coolest people, and I can contribute most of those opportunities to football. Some of you may be thinking to yourselves, "Yeah, but I bet having good grades helped with some of those opportunities!" And you may be right, but one of the biggest reasons I worked hard in the classroom was so that I could stay on the field! So again, back to football.

I've been thinking a lot about football lately, as we've begun our summer workouts at NLA (not currently, for you rule sticklers, as it's the Non-contact portion of the summer), and the biggest thing on my mind is not wins and losses but hoping and praying that these young men I'm coaching grow to have the same opportunities that I've had over the years.

First off, I met my wife because of football. Simply put, I wouldn't have gone to Northwestern if it wasn't for the football program there. That's right, baby! Thank the ol' pigskin that we're "happily ever after"!

Along with my wife, my best friend played football with me. My oldest friend played football with me. And many of the relationships that I built with some great men started early August 2000 on the field at NWC.

Over the past few months of being back in the Twin Cities, I've had the great pleasure of running into a few of the guys I played with. Shaking hands as a flood of memories come back is a great feeling. Sharing stories of "remember when..." never gets old. And hearing about growing young families and new adventures is energizing. Over and over, however, I'm struck by how the memories and old stories are never really about scores and championships, but about the REAL things. Playing Footkick under the Gateway Arch, A-Wall at our last Break-A-Way, Wes Hope serenading Mary Krauel, or even just hugging a fellow brother that's struggling.

I just started reading a book about a small town in Kansas where life revolves around the local football team. "Our Boys". I remember being one of those boys. Looking back, it truly was an honor. It still is, in fact. To know that on many occasions over the years I represented an entire community, school and all those who have worn those colors before me. Both the Blue and White of Silver Bay and the Purple and Gold of NWC. It's an honor to know that, even though it's a silly game, what we did on that field brought a sense of pride and even hope to so many. I know it did for me when I was too young to be on the varsity. In fact, it still does ten years after walking across the stage of high school graduation and five years after having my degree handed to me by the President of NWC (a former tight end, I might add!).

So, this is my promise to those of you who may know even the slightest of what I'm talking about. My number one goal for this summer and fall is to help the young men that I coach to understand that yes, it is a game. But, however fair or not, there is a lot riding on that silly game. Not only for the people who cheer for them in the same Green and White that they wear, but also for their lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment